Thursday, July 7, 2011

Middle of the Road

My feet perched on iron cold concrete
feathers are missing from my wings
there's a cigarette dangling from my lips
strips of duct tape on my halo



I have dirt under my nails
and leaves cling to my hair
I don't long for forever
but neither am I scared





I can't reach divinity
far too close to the human glow
and I'm too near to sainthood
to walk with those below





I haven't heard from heaven
in so goddamn long
so I'm standing in the back of the choir
and I never join in their songs





But there are my wards

I warm them and hold them tight
I'm invisible as they cry
try to whisper what they need
that isn't quite a lie


Father, what the hell am I
That they walk away, feeling redeemed
and I'm left here standing alone
under a sky that steadily bleeds.




No comments:

Post a Comment